Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 90 mystery cap

Hello. I finally registered to the Phorum after months of lurking because I finally found a question that hasn't already been addressed here. I'm re-capping my very first Philco, a Model 90 that a friend found at a yard sale in Montana (I won't tell you what he paid for it, but it was CHEAP!).

There seems to be a mystery capacitor connected between the #18 By-Pass Condenser (3903-M) and a terminal on the speaker socket. The value is .05mfd/200v. I haven't seen this cap in any diagram or schematic, and it doesn't appear in the photo that Ron posted elsewhere of a pristine Model 90 chassis. It appears to be from the same era, judging from the paper wrapping and size, so I'm guessing it was attached by a service tech who may not have had access to Philco's secret bakelite cap contents listings.

Question: when I get to that cap, should I just not replace it, and assume that replacing the caps inside 3903-M (which specs at .01mfd) will take care of it, or should I replace the .05mfd external cap as well? What do I risk by removing that cap?

I never would have attempted this re-cap if it weren't for the Phorum and all the incredibly valuable advice I found here. I appreciate all of your collective knowledge and experience!

Thanks,

Mike

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...g:original]

Think I found my way around it, using the Rider's pages posted online. Unfortunately, when I put it all back together, I got bad squeal and BLATT above 900 khz., and decent reception below that. Coils look like they're okay, but some resistors are way off spec, so that's next. I'll let you know how that makes it sound...

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Help with Readrite 410 tube tester
I fixed it. The filament selector switch is not that great of quality. Cleaned it and it takes some fiddling with to get...daveone23 — 06:58 AM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
It's a vacuum tube set and it's over 60 years old.  My uncle acquired it for my parents when Philco was done with it, an...jeibner — 10:24 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
Hi J Eibner, Welcome to the Phorum.  Lots of Phriendly Pholks with Phine (See a pattern here?) advice. It is very...MrFixr55 — 09:54 PM
Philco 89B code 123 newbie
Or you can do what Terry suggests. Thx Terry for remembering that. A lot cheaper. I remember an article about that, b...MrFixr55 — 09:07 PM
Philco 48-200 alignment questions
Thanks to everybody for all the info so far. RodB, thanks for the additional info. I worked on this radio years ago a...transitony — 08:40 PM
Philco 89B code 123 newbie
Now that I've been thinking about it somewhere I saw a replacement made using a section of pvc pipe and a cap to cover t...Radioroslyn — 08:25 PM
Terry's gimmick cap is two insulated wires twisted together about 2 inches long, one wire attaches to the generator outp...RodB — 07:46 PM
Hi, in this case I would be certain that pin 7, which is B-, of the 14A7 is not "hot". If it is then reverse t...RodB — 07:39 PM
Yup. The gimmick is to take the place of the 100mmfd cap you don't have.Radioroslyn — 07:34 PM
Thanks for the reply Terry. Yes I am definitely using an isolation transformer. If I work with your method and connec...transitony — 07:29 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 3081 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 3079 Guest(s)

>