Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Designer of the 42-350T ?

Anyone have background on who the designer of the 42-350T was ? It seems to stand out as different then the other wood Philco's in 1942 having a Zenith Zepher wrap around look to it. The predominant use of solid wood verses veneers is another feature setting the 350T apart from the other '42 wood Philco's.

It's a nice set......very machine age look to it.

I'm sure Mr. Ramirez could tell you who designed the 42-350T, to me the cabinet does bear some relation to the Philco 180, 280, and 380 series floor models although they aren't the same. It's just too bad that the FM band that those sets have is virtually useless these days.
Best Regards
Arran

I am sure I have the info around here, but as I have recently moved that stuff is still in boxes and probably will be for some time.

If I were guessing, I would guess Emil Harman or Edgar Haines; they were Philco's main designers by the early forties.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well, I was wrong; it was an "F. Newman" that designed the 42-350T cabinet.

41,750 were made, all by Red Lion Cabinet Co.

(Yes, I've started unpacking.) Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. Now I'm inspired to rescue an example currently at a local antique shop...$18 seems like a deal.

Given what those things bring on eBay...yes, absolutely, $18 is a fantastic deal for any old radio. And why haven't you picked it up yet? Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Users browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Samlex heavy-Duty bench supply filter question
I suggest sticking with the original values. Depending upon the design if you increase the cap values too much the incre...DaleHCook — 08:55 AM
AC/DC Transformer-less Sets
You’re welcome! I was born in 1995, so this is all second-hand information to me from the industry. I did some research ...jrblasde — 08:38 AM
Samlex heavy-Duty bench supply filter question
Hello Everyone, I have one of my Heavy-duty bench powersuplies made by Samlex it's 13.8 volt dc 20-25 amp supply. What I...radiorich — 11:24 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
It's a Glaser Sears changer which Philco's engineers thought was an upgrade over a VM, but in retrospect I'd prefer the ...jeibner — 10:39 PM
Joseph, Thank you for the confirmation. I knew that there must be more to the Transformer-less AC/DC radios than the ...PeterN — 10:30 PM
Good evening, folks. Power station engineer here! The east coast had pockets of DC-only power well into the twentieth...jrblasde — 10:11 PM
Model 40 does not have a rectifier, so it would be a DC only model. This however does not say anything about using...morzh — 08:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows if these AC/DC transformer-less sets were actually used on 110v DC anywhere, and when. ...PeterN — 06:35 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
Given the 1960s vintage, it is likely that the cartridge is ceramic, likely more stable. The changer looks like a Voice...MrFixr55 — 05:03 PM
Jackson 665 j2 schematic request
FIXED!daveone23 — 03:55 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 5048 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 5046 Guest(s)

>