Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My new Marconi

I bought  this Marconi model 85 yesterday. I really like the radio  and I do have the piece of wood missing on the bottom. There is one knob that is wrong  and  the convex glass is missing.. I did find a supplier who can sell me the convex glass for $260.00.
 Well I might think about that for a while. In the meantime maybe one of you guys has a supplier who can make the convex glass. it is  9 3/8 X 6 7/8 inches.
  I did search the internet  and ran out of ideas on the glass.
It was suggested that I put in  a piece of flat glass but the dial would rub on the glass.. If I moved the chassis back  I don't know if the knobs would stick out far enough.
 I have not taken the chassis out yet so I am not sure how it will work out.
 The cabinet is in good condition and need a good cleaning and I think it will keep it's original finish.
  Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

Living in Calgary Alberta

WOW!
BEAUtifuL

I know guys who use clock shops for dial glass.. $260.00 is a bit Ridiculous....

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Gorgeous cabinet.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

I have a friend who repairs clocks, maybe he could help, how about a plastic cover, it looks so nice i do not think the glass is what people would focus on.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Beautiful radio!  Paul has a good point about a plastic cover.... Mark Palmquist could make you a nice plastic cover while you source a more reasonably priced glass:

http://www.dialcover.com/

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I've known a few people whom have acquired Canadian Marconi sets with the convex oval lenses over the dial either missing or cracked, they simply replaced them with a piece of flat glass and never had and mechanical interference issues, that would include a Model 84 which is similar. $260 is a complete ripoff for a replacement glass, that sounds like a "Go away and don't bother me" price, and I would take your business elsewhere. I would check into clock restoration suppliers, but that might be a dead end. If flat glass won't work making a molded plastic lens would be a respectable replacement, I think that some "Airline" sets may have used this.
Regards
Arran

I contacted Mark Palmquist about making one yesterday, and I haven't heard from yet.
 He has one for the model 84 but the size is different.
     I am not bent on getting a glass one  but it would be nice to have it original.
 I am going to look into getting some special kind of plastic and making my own. I know the basics , but am not sure about  the melting in the oven part. I have heard [on ARF] that they use  some kind of different plastic.
  It will be a learning experience.
  I did try a lot of clock restoration sites but most of the clocks are round and the ones that were oval were the wrong size..
  Dan in Calgary

I did pick up some of the plastic made for forming in the oven, and I got it locally.
       The radio is all recapped and aligned and it picks up far away stations very nice. I took out the glass and cleaned it,and now it is very bright. .   Next is to get the cabinet in order, which won't take much.

Attached Files Image(s)

I made my own dial cover from  plastic, and it worked out very well.
Here is the radio all done. I find that the after photos don't look very much different that the before photos.
  In person it is quite different.
  I will have to redo the knobs when it gets warmer, but the radio plays very good and the eye tube  works  just as it should.
  I do like these Marconi cabinets with the big dials. 
Dan in Calgary

Attached Files Image(s)

very nice!
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup

Good looking console. I like the design. Icon_thumbup

Really sweet radio!

Joe

Matthew 16:26 "For what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world, yet lose his own soul?"