Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Why is it always the right side?

Today while checking out a Zenith Allegro stereo for someone, a very good question came to mind after the right channel basically died on me. Why is it always the right side that gives out on vintage, solid state stereos? I tinkered around with a few 70's stereos in the late 90's and this was already an issue then. Either dead or weak on one side. Now that I've been tinkering with solid state again, I've once again found they often go bad on the right channel. Why is this? I have actually seen Magnavox Astro-Sonic consoles that are either weak or dead on the right side, yet they play on for years in garages and stores on the left side. Either this is an oddity caused by how solid state electronics are set up or Ohio has an odd effect on electronics! Icon_confused

No matter where you go, there you are.

That's not anything I encountered servicing.

Must be living in the Twilight Zone?  Yikes

Tom

Well, the issue with the Zenith Allegro appears to be the vintage speakers we tried out on it. They might have tested good with the meter, but something went wrong and I think that is why the right channel conked out on the Zenith. Same speakers also caused my Realistic stereo to act strange and I think they have a date with the sledge hammer later on. Icon_sad

No matter where you go, there you are.

I would guess that the volume/balance pots probably have a lot to do with it, unless you are speaking of playing records in which case the cartridges can and do get messed up.
Regards
Arran

Yes, Deoxit on balance controls and volume and balance controls often fixes it. A leas it's the first step.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
40-150 General questions
Of course! Even the chassis will have a part number. Thanks for your replies. And yes, I do have some serious rewiring t...Kevin_D — 12:14 PM
Philco Model 512 Mandarin Red Metal Cone Speaker - Help
MrFixr55- Thanks for all the good information. I know that the "motor" is open. Since this is my first ventur...jjfritz5528 — 09:22 PM
Howard Car Radio Model HA6 1936
Hi Everyone,  A friend has given me a Howard Model HA6 car radio - a set which has an interesting history , the more ...Antipodal — 09:17 PM
GE Model P-975F
Have looked at info on other sites. What is funny the wire that runs to the ext ant and ground connections are different...David — 05:36 PM
E H Scott Allwave 15
Hello Philconut. This thread is over twelve years old. I am sorry to inform you that Michael Dennis passed away severa...GarySP — 05:24 PM
E H Scott Allwave 15
I've just taken one of these sets in for restoration. What a behemoth! After re-stuffing all the wee capacitor cans &...Philconut — 04:34 PM
Rare zenith 6s137 restore
All of these restorations are two projects. The chassis and the cabinet. You're done with the chassis. I would keep ...RodB — 01:29 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Thanks. The transformer tested per your numbers. Checked the wiring and it appears to be good. I’ll move on to checking ...bridkarl — 12:37 PM
GE Model P-975F
There are 2 of these on ePay and several pics on Radiomuseum.  Although the front looks like a very popular Hong Kong ra...MrFixr55 — 09:26 AM
Rare zenith 6s137 restore
Hi Fred, I get things to work, but what you, Russ, RadioSvit and many others on the Phorum do with cabinet and chassis...MrFixr55 — 09:02 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 1568 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 1566 Guest(s)

>