Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Bought my first cathedral.

50A made in canada missing a tube but in very nice shape i thought 100.00 plus shipping is very fair but the schematic i found isn't giving me much to go on for parts values.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183757847517

https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...chematics/

Scroll down and click on the Model 50 schematic. This one gives the parts values.

Or if you also want an under-chassis view and a parts list:

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...l.%201.pdf

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Seems to be missing the 80 tube. It should be in front of the the big tube (47) in the picture.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

thank you for diagrams and schematic Ron they are very thorough.

Is 100.00 fair considering the condition? The cabinet looks solid.

It's ok. A bit more than I would pay but within reason.
The grill cloth is made of curtain..... needs to change.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

considering the same radio is worse shape is 300.00 in my local antique shop which i think is nuts.

Good point.

Otherwise I agree with Mike. Additionally, you have the Canadian version which is harder to find (especially here in the USA) than the USA version.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Any differences between the canadian version and the us version besides being 25-40 cycles.

" . . . being 25-40 cycles. "

I wonder how they were engineered differently for the different frequency, if at all.

The power transformer will have a bigger iron core than one for 60 cycles

"The power transformer will have a bigger iron core than one for 60 cycles "

Interesting.   I'm  learning.  Thank you David.   Icon_wink

When looking at the schematic the filter caps are different values for the 25cy vs the 60cy version. The lower the frequency the larger the cap to filter the hum. 
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...029633.pdf

GL

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

"The lower the frequency the larger the cap to filter the hum."

Larger iron core and greater-value filter caps.    Hmmmmm, . . . not hard to see why we went to a higher frequency in the US.

Thank you Terry.

Some military gear from the 50's and 60's is 120vac 400cy. Pt are dinky and useless... The point is that the core and windings on a pt need to be resonant at the frequency on the power that is being supplied to it. Else it just gets hot and angry.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry