Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-670 Question about candohm resistors

Hi Everyone!

I have recently finished re-capping a Philco 37-670 and I’ve replaced all out of whack resistors. The only thing left to do is to replace the two candohm resistors. My question is what wattage should the new resistors be? I have 5 watt resistors on hand, but should I go up to 10 watts?  Or more?

Thanks for your help!!!!

-Jason

Hi Jason - Are your candohm resistors open? Just curious since it sounds like you've done the recap. I generally leave them if they're working.

I used 25W resistors on my 37-2670 (very similar set). They still get pretty warm so be sure to mount them to the chassis - or in my case I used an aluminum sheet to mount them so that I didn't have to drill additional holes in the chassis. I use lithium grease under them to ensure decent heat conduction.

[Image: https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/4966...39c4_c.jpg]

To add, if Candohms aren't open, being wirewound type their value doesn't go far from original.
I keep them unless 1) open, or 2) leaking to the shell (popular failure mode in Zenith TO 7G605) which causes hum and is overall unsafe.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hi guys!

Thanks for your replies, they’re very helpful! The resistors are still good - their values are pretty dang close to what they should be. I was just afraid to leave them in as I’ve heard that they can short and I’m afraid of blowing up the power transformer. But maybe I’ll go ahead and leave them. I have another Philco model and I left the candohms in that one and it works fine.

Thanks again!
-Jason

Here’s a picture of it all re-capped.

Edit: For some reason the picture won’t show up   Icon_wtf