Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Loktal Philco only?

Is the Loktal tube design unique to Philco only?   Icon_question

No they were designed by Sylvania primarily for the auto radios and two way radios. Since they lock in they don't wiggle out as a vehicle bounces down the road. Sylvania was the main supplier of tubes for Philco.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

All early transoceanic radios by Zenith are loctals.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks Terry.

Thanks Mike.
Ron indicated earlier that Philcos came with (glass) Sylvanias, as opposed to the metal tubes RCA  and others used.  I think  Zeniths  were included,
and they must have continued on with the Loktal versions when the came out.

I’ve got a Zenith 10s464 console that uses a loctal tube. I belive Bendix may have also used them.

"  . . . that uses a loctal tube"

Only one?

I have a Crosley 1528 radio that uses a 7F8 twin triode for AM and FM oscillators.

Yep, it only has the one #1232 tube. All the other tubes are octal.  I also have a Zenith 12h670 that I haven’t restored yet. That one has 7 loctals and 5 octals.

I remember working on a Silvertone three band radio back when I was a kid. It used loctal tubes for all its tubes.

Our 1947 Zenith 12H090 uses a mixture of Octal, Loctal and miniature 7 pin valves. It is quite the electronic cocktail.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

". . . quite the electronic cocktail."   Icon_lol 

If it's all original, it's a good cocktail!

Zenith and Colonial (Silvertone) both used Loktal tubes heavily. Both companies, along with Philco, had Sylvania as a tube supplier. There was a lot of anti-RCA sentiment when they came out with their metal tubes, and when Sylvania introduced the Loktal tubes a few years later, they were eagerly accepted.

Tim KA3JRT

Midwest also used loktal tubes.  Lots of them.  Many of their sets were high tube count.