Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Transitone 49-500-121

Welcome aboard Will.
You're right is suspecting the old capacitors. At the very least, the electrolytics should be replaced.
You can find the schematic here:
http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013657.pdf

Carl
Northern Panhandle, WV

Just thought I'd add check B+ voltage after replacing the filters. It should be up around 110vdc. If not replace the rectifier tube. Sometimes they check ok when weak. The other thing that came to mind was a bad IF transformer. Have been seeing some myself lately, typically they won't peak when adjusted.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Is there a hit list of caps to change out? The old Trice electronics here in town no longer sells parts and the schematic doesn't give me values.

For some reason, TinCup's first post disappeared. I do not know why this happened...but here it is again:

Quote:We just recently inherited a farm that has been in the family for over a hundred years. In going through the house I ran across this old Philco that is in remarkeable shape. The unit powers on and tunes in stations the only problem is almost no volume. Even with the volume control turned all the way up I get only very low volume. Now I used to do TV and radio repair in the early 70's so I know my way around the tubes but all that I have remaining of my old test equipment is my trusty Pierce Simpson 260p VOM.

Visual inspection looks fine. I have tested all the tubes and they test out good. I know these old caps are probably suspect. Without the schematic and a signal generator I am just guessing at this point.

Any ideas on what to look for???

Great site by the way.

Will

Apologies to Will (TinCup) for this hiccup in the software.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Is there a hit list of caps to change out? The old Trice electronics here in town no longer sells parts and the schematic doesn't give me values.

TinCup

The diagram that Carl linked to his post has the values. Or you can just write down the values of all the wax/paper cap you see under the chassis.
Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry