Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Models 217 & 46-131 Glass Scale (Dial)

Idaho Greetings to all of you vintage radio enthusiasts!  I became a member of the Phorum about the time Covid hit, but this is my first chance to see if it works as good as Chuck said it would.
I NEED HELP!  I recently acquired a NOS Philco Canada Model 217.  When I say NOS, the radio looks like it has never been used; I have the radio, the original user manual (English and French), and the original factory (Toronto?) shipping container.  Basically, the Canadian Model 217 is essentially the same as the U.S. Model 46-131.  Both of these are battery operated farm radios.  With the exception of the glass scale (dial), and except for being 75+ years old (slight dust + signs of aging), all of the components on my new Model 217 look brand new, including the cabinet.  All brand new Philco brand vacuum tubes; wax caps, resistors and wiring all from the time period.
I am trying to solve 2 problems:  (1) I found a copy of the Philco Home Radio Yearbook Troubleshooting Procedure for the Model 46-131.  I would like to know if any one out there might know where I can get similar documents and schematic for the Model 217, and (2) as mentioned above, some of the paint on the glass scale or dial has cracked and is flaking off (See attached photo).  If anyone knows where I can get a new glass dial for either model, please respond.  Also, if anyone has experience scanning or photographing glass dials and then printing on plastic (such as decal plastic or adhesive-backed plastic, please let me know.
Thanks You and Take Care

Attached Files Image(s)

One place to check would be the folks at Just Radios. I know they have some Canadian schematics. Or on Steve Johnson's site .

https://radio.codegods.ca/node/7083

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thanks Bob.  I will check those leads out.  I forgot to post the Philco part # for the glass dial on the Model 46-131.  It is 27-5842.

(edited by admin)

Thanks also to Terry.  I found that website yesterday, and those docs are in jpg and very hard to read when they are enlarged.

Post a "Wanted" ad in Wanted Ads please. Ads are not allowed in the regular forums.