Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-380 off push button is broken

So I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to fabricate a new piece of either plastic or what looks like pcb to stick to that little part that broke that moves the switch.

Attached Files Image(s)

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Never faced that problem, hopefully someone has an idea for you short of getting a donor chassis to replace the entire pushbutton assembly.

It might be easier to rig up a toggle switch or a micro switch. That's how the Germans did it.

Thank you klondike.

I think I might have to take the switch assembly out of the radio and maybe drill or hook a strong piece of either metal wire or plastic because I dont think it's worth changing the on/off switch saying it still works underneath.

Here is my solution:

https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vie...6&t=385528

I think that the O.P was looking at how to replace a worn down phenolic piece that actuates the switch, not the switch itself. Given that you would have to take the assembly out to replace it, even to replace it with another assembly, I can't see the harm in making a replacement of the worn part and trying it, I'm curious as to what it looked like, the only 1942 model Philco I have is a 42-327, and the P.B assembly is different in those, I think.
Regards
Arran

I had looked up the 42-327 and it seems slightly different but if anyone could find/get a photo of how it would look it would be very appreciated.

Users browsing this thread:
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 3549 online users. [Complete List]
» 1 Member(s) | 3548 Guest(s)

>