Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

1964 Corvair Delco radio - caps

Definitely an "other radio!" All transistor. Model 985832.
The caps all look like new. Delco brand. Sealed plastic. And all are soldered to a circuit board. Would they still be good after nearly 50 years?
And the metal can with 3 electrolytics, 4, 400 and 850 uf. That one, at least, has wire leads and would be easy to replace. I'm hesitant to heat up the circuit board unnecessarily.
Thanks.

It will either work or it will not, usually the mode of failure is that the caps will have dried out resulting in low volume, and or distortion.

Hello fenbach,
Yes, as Arran put it the capacitors will be dried out and need to be replaced !

Sincerely richard

You are correct about the circuit board. It is a pressed wafer board similar to tube socket material and doesn't like much heat or moisture. Circuit traces will lift off if over heated.

Black beauty caps are nothing but old style caps with a plastic coating, look nice but always bad! Me thinks you have the GM version of a black beauty. I know it does not look nice but when working on old printed circuit boards I clip the part and solder the new part to the studs and stay away from the PCB.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Correct model 84 Ac plug an cord type
From what I read Philco went to using brown rubber power cords in 1936, so cloth was used in the 1935 and earlier models...Arran — 11:25 PM
Hi Bruce, I have not worked on an 84, but in general, power cords for almost any radio prior to 1938 was cloth covered...MrFixr55 — 08:34 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
OK, well, so after staring at the sch again, I realized the problem had to be the #12/12A padder. I put a scope on the o...morzh — 08:15 PM
Hello Bruce, I mostly use brown far as my cloth powercords go ! Here is the plug that I have used bakelite Acorn style...radiorich — 08:05 PM
Looking for as correct as can find the right Ac plug an the correct colored cloth line. Ive seen many old photos but mos...Bruce — 04:13 PM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Rod Two Y-caps make sense if you use them from L/N to the chassis; this is only makes sense in the transformer radios...morzh — 10:11 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Mike, I'm curious about a specific use of he Y cap. Lately I've seen a single cap across the power transformer primary. ...RodB — 09:01 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
hello morzh , That sounds like a plan ! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 07:45 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Richard, It helped some, but I still had the whining when engaging the rear power strip (I did not realize it was fro...morzh — 07:07 AM
Restoring Philco 38-14
Hello morzh, Yes , that dreaded hum in my room where i do alighment I have my cable modem and router plus desktop plus ...radiorich — 11:25 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 4439 online users. [Complete List]
» 2 Member(s) | 4437 Guest(s)

>