Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-116 radio and remote

Understood, thanks!

Joseph

Philco 46-480
Philco 49-906

Hi all!
I know, I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here.  But I have to ask.  The Philco 39-116 is one of those radios that requires a long wire antenna.  That's not going to work in my house.  Has anyone tried to use a loop antenna with this radio?  I did run across an article that replaced the broadcast coil L1 secondary with a loop antenna of 240uH. Still used capacitor 10A to tune the antenna as well as the 8 channel selector caps to tune the individual channels.  This option would only work for the broadcast band.  Still have to use a long wire antenna for SW bands.  I don't think it would be difficult to build an antenna as a loop (i.e. on an embroidery hoop) or as a spiral on a flat form.  Has anyone tried this? Any advice on using a circular loop vs a flat form spiral?  There isn't as much room in the bottom of the cabinet as you would think, especially if you want to be able to rotate the antenna and keep it above the remote receiver antenna.
Thanks,
Rich

I have used a 6 foot piece of old ethernet cable, then connect the eight conductors in series to get a 48 foot antenna. You can use a longer piece to get more antenna. You can coil it or string it out.

Hi RodB,
What a good idea to try!  I have a couple hundred feet of Cat5 ethernet cable.  I'll give it a try once I get the radio back in working condition.
Thanks!
Rich

Users browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
Hi RodB, What a good idea to try!  I have a couple hundred feet of Cat5 ethernet cable.  I'll give it a try once I get ...RichG — 12:22 AM
Restoring Philco 38-12 in a wood cabinet
Today I have finished recapping. The last two days' evenings I spent rebuilding the electrolytics. First I had to drain...morzh — 08:54 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Thank you all! It would not have been possible without the guidance of everyone who has weighed in. So far I’ve gotten a...jrblasde — 08:33 PM
I have used a 6 foot piece of old ethernet cable, then connect the eight conductors in series to get a 48 foot antenna. ...RodB — 07:41 PM
Hi all! I know, I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here.  But I have to ask.  The Philco 39-116 is one of those radios ...RichG — 06:41 PM
Tucker Movie Prop car
Hello WrenchMonkey, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner I had crazy busy summer ! I will ask my friend about Mr Rho...radiorich — 08:34 AM
40-150 General questions
Of course! Even the chassis will have a part number. Thanks for your replies. And yes, I do have some serious rewiring t...Kevin_D — 12:14 PM
Philco Model 512 Mandarin Red Metal Cone Speaker - Help
MrFixr55- Thanks for all the good information. I know that the "motor" is open. Since this is my first ventur...jjfritz5528 — 09:22 PM
Howard Car Radio Model HA6 1936
Hi Everyone,  A friend has given me a Howard Model HA6 car radio - a set which has an interesting history , the more ...Antipodal — 09:17 PM
GE Model P-975F
Have looked at info on other sites. What is funny the wire that runs to the ext ant and ground connections are different...David — 05:36 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

>