Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1950 Emerson TV resurrection attempt

Nice project, Tim! That chassis looks like an exercise in patience ... mighty tight wiring package there. Take care and BE HEALTHY! Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Been awhile since I've even been in the radio room. Work work work, kids graduating, going into college, and the list goes on and on, but, look what showed up for my Emmy!
I still need to order some resisterators for the focus (Mr Anderson mentioned the correct ones from Mouser), but this should allow me to get those monster capacas replaced and see if I can get a raster & picture. Got enough big caps to do my Sentinal too  and some extras for no good reason.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

With the rain and all, I've been back in the radio room hoping to finish a few that have been sitting on the bench since the 1st of the year - or longer. Wow! It takes some time to remember where a person was, even with notes. I do have some videos that I made which help a lot. I want to get this finished so I can clean and start a Predicta and possible amp build, so here's where I am. 1st, I want to thank Mr Anderson for his very helpful video on this set. Funny how I can "find" something, then he does a video right before I start work on it, which is very helpful. I re-watched the Emerson video to get parts I might need written down, and some potential problems to check for. One of the problems he mentioned was that one of the 10meg resistors on the vertical divider/output had been replaced and mentioned replacing those anyway since there was quite a bit of voltage on those. I checked them and found one open! (probably the same one he saw that had been replaced)  So, I don't have any laying around, which means I need to order those as well as the HV divider resistors. I started the recap on those coupler caps and HV filter caps. I decided with them out of the way I'd go ahead and replace the paper caps in the vertical, sync and video section. Boy, were those beauties buried! Vertical caps ALWAYS give trouble! Even tho I don't have ANY horizontal sweep at all! I might know why tho. Big crack in the bumbl bee caps for the horizontal. Take a look at the pics.

That vertical cap has a hole blown or burned in it. I did have some vertical sweep but that was buried under the HV filter cap and none of those had ever been out. Bet that and the open 10 meg resistor is what retired this set. I haven't seen anything that looks replaced, looks all original. Wish I could keep it that way but it doesn't work that way. I could re-stuff but why? Who's gonna look under the chassis unless it needs repairs. I'm taking the effort to keep parts in their original locations to avoid problems and also to locate if necessary via a Sams or something. Someone else might not be able to follow my work unless things are in their original location, and helps locate mistakes if I make any. Next I'll get the HV caps tacked in and test the set before replacing anything else.

There are 2 10 meg resistors and a 22 meg on the vertical output tube. The other one is below that small resistor and is open.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

The hole in that cap is to let steam out when things get cooking. :-)