Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

49-504

Hello all
I am doing a 49-504 and in section 4 I see C401is that a 5mmf ? I did not see that when I replaced the caps.

Thank you

Also wheni first power on the 7a8 gets very bright more than normal not sure what I did wrong

https://philcoradio.com/library/download...8-1949.pdf

I wouldn't loose any sleep over the 7A8 filament unless you can use it for a nightlite. It's just the cold resistance of the filament is lower than the rest so it dissipates more power in brightness than the others. When it heats up the resistance rises and filament dims. Such is the life of a fil in a series strung set.

On the 5mmf cap if it's a mica leave it paper replace.

I had one of those sets many yrs ago. Nice clean cabinet design and a good player too.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Thank you very much.

So now I have an issue where as the radio gets warmer the volume gets very low and the stations don’t come in as well. Can this be a tube ?

Hi philco4me,

So, your issue with the low volume after warmup could be a few things. One being what you suggested, weak tube. You can do 2 things to try and narrow it down. You can substitute the tubes one at a time, and I would start with the 14B6 detector. Or create a voltage chart of tube voltages right after power-on when the tubes are cool, should take just a few minutes. Then, when the volume decreases, read the voltages a second time. Keep in mind, if it's not a flaky tube, it could be a e sistor or capacitor changing value after having voltage applied. In either case you should see a change in voltage readings.

The other issue with the 5pf cap is more than likely a gimmick cap. That's two wires twisted together with one wire soldered to the tuning condenser, and the other wire connected to the loop antenna. You may have inadvertently removed them during your restoration. (What's up with these extra wires?) Hope this helps.

Thank you for the help. All tubes tested strong so I will double check my recap.