Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 37-???

A couple weeks ago I picked up my first antique radio at a garage sale here in Sterling.  He had a couple floor models and several table tops.  I picked up a floor model as the cabinet just spoke to me as a woodworker.  I had no idea there were so many collectors and websites for these!

Pictures follow after the narrative...

After I got it home, I found a tag inside the cabinet stating it was a 37-650.  I found Service Bulletin 254.  I pulled the speaker and chassis out in preparation of refinishing the cabinet. 3 band dial, AM, and 2 shortwave with shadow meter.

Then I found this forum and library, etc., and found that the 37-650 picture did not match my cabinet.  My cabinet matches the 37-665X.

Further investigation shows the 37-650 is an 8 tube chassis.  The 37-665 is a 9 tube chassis.

Look at my pics, and I have a 7 tube chassis!

So, I think I have a 37-665X cabinet with some other chassis...or an optional chassis?  

Maybe it is a Phrankenstein Philco?

Attached Files Image(s)

Hello You have the correct 8-lamp chassis. Perhaps you did not pay attention to one more lamp - 6F6 in a metal case. Of course, both 6F6 should be made of glass. And preferably from Philco. Icon_biggrin

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Ah, now why would I count a metal part as a tube when I am counting glass tubes? Icon_smile

Yes, if I do a full restore I should probably put in the correct part!

So a 37-650 chassis in a 37-655X Cabinet?

I think that you have a 37-650 chassis in a 37-2655X cabinet, in the version for export Icon_think

Old Tube Radio Online Museum / Музей ретро радіо
https://www.youtube.com/user/RadioSvit?d...lymer=true

Sincerely Peter
З повагою Петро

Interesting. I looked in the gallery again and the 37-665x changed cabinet type between June 36 (1937 model) and the January 37 pictures. Radiosvit, your observation of the 37-2650 makes more sense.

An export model. A foreign American made radio! ?

Now that I know about that model number I will do some more research. Any suggestions to find export info?

It wasn't uncommon for Philco to install chassis in a cabinet that was built for a similar model, usually at the end of a model year (or chassis run) to use up cabinets and/or chassis. In reality, the buyer in the store didn't know the difference. If the radio looked nice, had the features they wanted, and the price was in their budget...

It's really only now when we restore these sets that we have the ability to look back at the history.

During the 1937 and 38 model years Philco was big on the concept of what would now be called a "modular" design where they assembled chassis from block sections. So the difference between one model, and another, in the same range, might be the addition of an extra tube in one block section, and the substitute of another tube, serving a different purpose, in another section. That X style cabinet was used with one then one chassis, like a 37-640, I think I've even seen a 37-630 chassis used with it, which is a six tube set by the way, I once saw a Canadian 3118 chassis used in a 3116H cabinet from 1934-35 (had the wrong knobs, so for the price they wanted I passed on it).
Regards
Arran