Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Viscount 1240 melting battery

I picked up one of these late 60s 4 band transistor radios in a flea market today. Threw in 4 c cells and it didn’t work so I left it.

An hour or so later I decide to take the batteries out. They were so hot they were melting . Got thenm disconnected and thrown away. The radio works based on using the power cable.

I’ve never seen this before? A five dollar item so I can just junk it or use it for parts. I can see a loose wire so that’s probably the issue causing a short but it’s simply not worth my time. These units are $10 all day every day on eBay. I actually have use for the parts.

There may be a RF bypass condenser across the battery pack. Possibly 10mf that may have failed.

Icon_biggrin Are you sure batteries installed correctly? Radio may want two strings of cells in parallel. Flipping cells in one string would cause a short...

There may also be a diode isolation from the AC supply, that has failed short.

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Had the same thing happen in a LED portable light. Thing was super bright touch the bottom of the light and it was hot. One of those pull up lights with 3 AA batteries one measured 4.5 volts the other 3.7 the last one 1.75. put in a different set of batteries and light output was ok and no heating. If you happen to still have the batteries check them. David

Alkaline cells have been known to go to short circuit when they are dead.

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

The batteries were new from a pack of 24 purchased before the storm. The store was like crazy maybe they got dropped before being on display. Never had that happen before. David

Hello Guys,
I have bought batteries from costco to have one leak in the package before even openning the package !

Sincerely Richard

Around here Costco sells Duracell so we don't buy them there. Usually wait for the Pink Bunny to put his on sale.