Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-7CS Antenna

Good Morning from the West Coast!
What was the original antenna on this one like? When I got it there was a large ball of uncoated, stiff wire in the space under the chassis! seemed to work ok for AM, but I'm pretty sure that the factory didn't put it there.
Jim

Hi Jim

This model was designed for the Philco High Efficiency All-Wave Aerial, an illustration of which may be seen here:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/mystery/40-6112.htm

Alternatively, it may be used with a simple longwire antenna connected to the screw terminal in the back of the set labelled RED. At the very least, a piece of insulated wire connected to the RED terminal and run along the baseboard of the room you have the set in is better than nothing.

These models did not have built-in antennas. The first Philcos to employ built-in loop antennas were not introduced until June 1939 as part of the new 1940 model lineup.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron!
Every time I come here I learn something!
Jim

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
AC/DC Transformer-less Sets
Joseph, Thank you for the confirmation. I knew that there must be more to the Transformer-less AC/DC radios than the ...PeterN — 10:30 PM
Good evening, folks. Power station engineer here! The east coast had pockets of DC-only power well into the twentieth...jrblasde — 10:11 PM
Model 40 does not have a rectifier, so it would be a DC only model. This however does not say anything about using...morzh — 08:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows if these AC/DC transformer-less sets were actually used on 110v DC anywhere, and when. ...PeterN — 06:35 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
Given the 1960s vintage, it is likely that the cartridge is ceramic, likely more stable. The changer looks like a Voice...MrFixr55 — 05:03 PM
Jackson 665 j2 schematic request
FIXED!daveone23 — 03:55 PM
Bakelite crack repair - what is best epoxy?
Thanks everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experience and looks like I'll work with the 24 hr two part clear epoxy....de371 — 10:25 PM
Without a schematic its going to be hard tracing the wire wound spool resistors.daveone23 — 05:21 PM
Looking for a schematic for the 665 j2 multimeter.daveone23 — 04:42 PM
Looking for place to donate unique Philco Philco J-1930 Prototype
>>I'll write to the Henry Ford. I heard, his secretary answers his mail, not he himself.morzh — 12:15 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2901 online users. [Complete List]
» 1 Member(s) | 2900 Guest(s)

>