Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Degen TG39 Antenna Question

I'm thinking about purchasing a Degen TG39 antenna off of eBay:

[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/d/149870-1/tg39.jpg]

I'd like to be able to use it with something like a Philco 90 or 16 with only a connection point in the back for antenna and ground. I don't really have room outside to run a long wire. And yes, I know it is fairly easy to fabricate your own loop antenna but I need something that is a little less conspicuous (to keep the wifey happy). I also don't have a ton of time to fabricate one and I'd rather spend what little time I do have for this hobby actually working on radios.

About 11" across. A little pricey but again I just don't have the time to build my own loop. It has two posts that I assume I can run wires from the antenna and ground connections on my radios.

What are the opinions on the TG39?

Thanks,
Geoff

Hi Geoff

Can you give us a link? I found several Degen loops on eBay but no TG39.

I really have no opinion on it, since (1) I am fortunate to have an outdoor longwire here, and (2) I have the opposite problem - no room for a loop inside!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TG39-Passive-Ind...2a0aac2703

(03-08-2012, 09:38 AM)Geoff Wrote:  Here is the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TG39-Passive-Ind...2a0aac2703

I built a 2' X 2' loop with a couple of pieces of wood which couldn't cost more than $3.00, and some extra wire, (OK from a trashed transformer or whatever,) and and and an old variable capacitor with a couple of switches to tune the circuit. Ugly, but works does.

Tons of stuff on the web about this.

Well, my friend, it's ultimately up to you...

My opinion: I would build my own and save some $$ before I paid $84 to have one shipped from Hong Kong. But since I am fortunate enough to have a decent longwire, I really don't need one - plus the lack of space, as mentioned previously.

There's a thread here on the Phorum about building your own loops:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=4066

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the link Ron. I'll check out some of the ideas there.

By the way, I posted a question for you over in the Wanted Ad section.

- Geoff

Well, I went ahead and got the TG39 and it came in the mail the other day. And before everyone starts yelling that I could have made my own let me quote from my post above:

I don't really have room outside to run a long wire. And yes, I know it is fairly easy to fabricate your own loop antenna but I need something that is a little less conspicuous (to keep the wifey happy). I also don't have a ton of time to fabricate one and I'd rather spend what little time I do have for this hobby actually working on radios.

For me at least the TG39 made a huge difference. I hooked it up to my 71B (which is in Ron's gallery) and I am getting more stations than ever. One station that I really like to listen to was always very weak and now it comes in clear and strong. I also didn't realize how much electrical noise I was getting with my 5 foot piece of wire that I originally had. With the TG39 there is a significant amount of noise that is not there anymore.

- Geoff