Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pilot Cathedral?

I picked up a cathedral radio yesterday and it's a 4 tube set (tubes: 47, 48, 57 and 80). The chassis is flanged and bolts in like other Pilot sets I've see and there is a round Pilot sticker/logo on it, but the ID label isn't on the chassis back. I did the tube layout search and didn't come up with a 4 tube Pilot, just a LOT of other sets. I can't imagine someone would have put a Pilot speaker in a non-Pilot set, but you never know! Anyone have any thoughts, ideas OR can ID this set?? I'll try to attach some pictures. No, I didn't pay $100 :-)

Thanks!
David

Attached Files Image(s)

Well it does have 1934-35 RCA/G.E style knobs so those don't belong. I can't comment on the speaker but if it looks like someone spliced the cable going to it that's a good sign that it is a replacement. The tubes installed do not make sense, the 80 is a rectifier which is normal, but the 47 is a 2.5 volt power output pentode, the 57 may make some sense as it's also a 2.5 volt tube used as a detector/amplifier, but the 48 is a 30 volt power output tetrode popularly used in 32 volt DC sets so that tube couldn't possibly work in this set.
Regards
Arran

My bad. The tubes are: 58 57 80 47 (not a 48).

Follow the link below to see if the listing has a hit.

http://www.grillecloth.com/sylvania/tube...ubmit&db=5

rghines1 - I spent 2 or three hours last night going over that list and then trying to search for matching pictures on http://www.radioatticarchives.com/
but I had no luck at all. It's really bugging me!

Hello: neat set! Try the below link and plug in the results from your search on the grillecloth.com finder.

http://www.radiomuseum.org/

There were many off-brands made back then using chassis manufactured by other companies.

Hi David,
Been there done that. Might want to find a circuit that is close and use that as a rough draft. I've got an odd set I got a while back that I never could find much on with the same layout as yours. This one the power transformer was shorted so it got replaced with a new one. The RF coils where starting to unwind those got rewound ect,ect,ect. Anyway it's up and running.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N0...hotostream
Terry

Thanks! When I get some more time, I'll begin to research some more.

Well I never determined what make it is, but it's got a dandy Pilot speaker! LOL!!

I've had the same radio for 30 plus years. It says Pilot #51 on the back of mine. I've been missing one of the knobs since I got it but it plays great and has 98% of its original parts. I've never found out much about the radio either.

Its a Pilot, sold under the Twin Coupler brand