Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco QC?

Working on a Philco 90 console and have a parts chassis. Just looking at them I can't help but notice what I think are crayon marks, yellow "V" and blue straight lines all around both chassis. One chassis on the outside and the other on the inside. Looks like marks perhaps made by QC checking various parts and signing off? Just wondering? You know inquiring minds?
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I'm sure those are contruction station marks, q/c and re-work markings, as well as final "ok". Since Philco used several outside cabinet shops, besides their in-house, cabinet marks will vary from jobbers. I know that the cabinet shop "number" was uaually in the cabinets too.

Ron has a listing of them here on his site.

I'm sure Ron and elucidate and or correct me. He is the Philco cabinet guru.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. The markings I'm referring to are on the metal chassis. On one set they go around the outside, the other set in marked around the inside of the chassis.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I've seen them anywhere on chassis and cabinet.

Yes, often QC marks, initials, stamps, etc... made on sets. Chalk marks in cabinets, etc. Initials, dates and stickers of repairmen of yore also common and should be preserved if possible, at least take a picture, print it and stuff it into the cabinet along with your notes if you care about those things surviving.

Some even put dots of paint on connections to signify inspection. Every Schulmerich amp and many altecs that I have worked on and other sets as well have those landmarks. You have to be very clever to hide a repair on some of these sets. Nail polish works for the dots, bare solder joints will tarnish in a year or so and match the others in a year or so, there are a million other things that can be done.