Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-472 Capacitors

Hello all, I just had someone give me a Philco 48-472 to get working for them. I noticed there are some very hard to get to caps down under a bunch of other resistors and part of the tuning capacitor. has anyone ever re-capped one of these radios before? any suggestions on how to get them out safely? Also, a lot of the values on them are hard to get to to read. I was wondering if anyone had any schematic info with values so I can start ordering caps.

Also, (Sorry about the photo being blurry) but you should see a capacitor wrapped with a coil of black wire... i've never seen anything like it before. when I go to replace this, how would I go about doing it? because a modern capacitor isn't going to be that same shape as the old one...

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Skip the wire and just use a plain modern cap. That winding was there to mitigate the original paper cap's internal inductance and roughly detune it to the IF frequency for better bypassing. Modern caps don't have the original problem that the wire coil was intended to cure.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
PT-6 antenna connections
Notice in the schematic the notch at the bottom of the antenna coil is between pins 3 & 4. Yes, pin 6 of the 7C6 is...RodB — 07:34 PM
bridkarl
I have two PT-6 chassis. On both there is a blue wire that runs from the above chassis transformer to pin 6 of 7C6. So t...bridkarl — 07:23 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
Joseph, now you are an engineer!!RodB — 06:37 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
Hi, reading your explanation I can see the confusion. If you take it one connection at a time it should result in a desi...RodB — 06:34 PM
Cannot Adjust an IF Transformer’s cores
It works! I received the PCBs this morning in the mail, and put everything together. I reused the base from the original...jrblasde — 04:32 PM
PT-6 antenna connections
I seem to have lost my way on this PT-6. I see the antenna aerial transformer schematic - I’m reading pins 1 through ...bridkarl — 12:30 PM
40-150 General questions
Good thing you're a good electrician ... the pictures show a lot of rewiring in your future! Take care and BE HEALTHY!...GarySP — 11:52 AM
40-150 General questions
I think RobB has it right. It is a part number and looks like its stamped on the chassis and that wasn't something you ...klondike98 — 11:41 AM
40-150 General questions
It's most likely a part number. Most of Philco part numbers are in that format. I looked at the parts list for this mode...RodB — 08:10 AM
40-150 General questions
Hi Kevin, No, I don't but I like your Quote about being a good electrician. The way I look at it is "The fact ...MrFixr55 — 08:06 AM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently 2733 online users. [Complete List]
» 4 Member(s) | 2729 Guest(s)

>