Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-12

Greetings all,

I just purchased a pile of radios from a local gent. One of the gems is a Philco 38-12. Naturally that was the first one I wanted to see if it had potential or not. It does.

One question though, the volume pot is a bit noisy. It it possible to take apart the volume control casing and clean the insides? I seem to recall some sets you actually can, the others are expendable.

Any advice would be appreciated.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Yes Gary, it certainly is worth a try. Good luck, and congrats on your acquisitions!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Yes Gary, it certainly is worth a try. Good luck, and congrats on your acquisitions!

Any idea where to look for info on this?

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

The case of the volume control is held on to the front of the control by a few, or several (depending on the manufacturer), tiny tabs. Turn the control down until you click the switch OFF. Then carefully pry those tabs up and pull the case (back part of the control including switch) partially off the control body. DO NOT turn the shaft while it is apart, so that the switch remains properly aligned with the shaft! Spray away with your favorite contact cleaner, also shooting up inside the switch for good measure. Quickly put the case back over the control body and hold it together with your thumb and forefinger while you twist the control shaft with your other hand, turning the control on and turning it up and down rapidly several times to work the cleaner in really well. Now fold the tabs back over the body and reinstall in the radio. If the control is now quiet and volume goes up and down smoothly, you've fixed it. But if it is still scratchy and intermittent, it will require replacement.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's what I was looking for. Thanks again, Ron.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU