Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-130T

Well time is not always on my side when it comes to getting some time to work on radios--today I got some time (yay)--more problems than I had originally thought, a very fried resistor in power supply area and a number of cracked resistors throughout the remainder of the circuitry--and rubber coated wire in a lot of areas. So I will take on the basics first, like getting the radio operating, and then deal with rubber wire issues and clean-up of some nasty looking solder work

This is my first rebuild/restore--and as expected I have learned a lot so far, for instance that it is a good idea to get components (resistors and caps) from one good source (still working on that one)--I have had to run all over my local area in search of parts, and today I needed a 4.7 Meg resistor, so called supplier only had 2.4 Meg, so two in series will do, also I needed a .004 Mfd cap and had to accept a .0047 Mfd (Iam sure it will do) except that working voltage is lower, again should be ok. So the next set I work on I will scope out original components condition a lot closer-get a good schematic-and a good shop selection of common caps and resistors--but all in all Iam enjoying my radio journey-looking forward to more (got to get this one running first though) George

http://www.justradios.com/

Thanks--I will check it out

ITS ALIVE--after spending the afternoon replacing caps and some burnt and cracked resistors--I did a smoke test--basic operation is there and no smoke !! light hum in audio, which I will check out--without antenna set back cover attached, I receive a few local am stations---ahh progress at last

I was able to get rid of the small amount of hum that I was getting by reversing the wall plug (I will put a polarized plug on it) I get a little scratchy sound on part of tuning dial (I will check out the plates on variable cap)--weird thing, I could not find non-pumice gojo at any local stores or auto parts places--my wife found on amazon, and ordered some for me (should be here tomorrow)so I can clean-up the cabinet

Ok-finally got some gojo--non pumice--hoo ray---hope to this weekend do some cabinet work--mount the chassis, and set this aside--I would like to replace the dial cover, cause it is cracked at far right end--but that is a future project Iam afraid that I will have to put on hold----I will post some pix of the gojo difference in the near future

Well this is as far as Iam going with this set right now--it runs well--I will get dial cover taken care of at sometime in the near future[Image: http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/w550...9884a0.jpg]

Wireless, that looks great. Mine as well seems to have had shrinkage on the dial cover and was not very clear. There is a gentleman someone here can no doubt recall his name that makes reproductions and had ours in stock. Quite reasonable and a perfect fit as seen in my picture. Very nice radio.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

Thanks Jerry ! the dial cover is not just because of shrinkage--philco used staples to mount the plastic cover and that added to the cracking situation--oh and the fact that it is 73 years old--I had fun with this one, my first set---now on to a new project

Keep moving along. More radios, more fun. I do believe that the dial cover did shrink a little, hence the cracking, but what do I know?
Glad your continuing to take on another.
Nice radio.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.