Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

370 Chairside Back to Life

Finished my first radio. Its a 370 Chairside that I picked up for $35 earlier in the year. Went through the chassis replaced all the paper caps and electrolytics along with one mica and all but one resistor. Couldn't figure out why I couldn't get any stations until I discovered that a previous repair at some point in it's life rendered it inoperable. Cathode of the oscillator was not wired back to the B.C. Resistor.

Very nice !!! I wish either one of mine looked that good!!
Terry

That looks very nice and it's right at home next to the rockin' chair. How well does it perform?

Craig R.

Looking very niceIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup

Very Nice !!

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_clap

Very Nice!

Beautiful radio, and awesome job on the restoration!

Thanks for the comments. The radio performs very well. I am building an AM transmitter (Antique Radio Forms 12AV6-12CS6 Transmitter) so I can play some some decent music along with Tube Talk podcasts.

I'll mention one slight thing I noticed about my working 370. The speaker is mounted close to the power transformer. This seems to cause a bit of 60cy hum pickup from the magnetic field. I moved the speaker away from the radio chassis and it clears up.
Terry

Terry

Did you try grounding the chassis?

Roy

Roy

Tis is exactly the case where grounding does squat.
Extra heavy soft iron shield around the transformer would help.

Roy, very nice job on the chairside radio..Have yet to see one in person in my neck of the woods. I guess they were not very popular?

They do pop up on epay from time to time. I saw one about a week or two ago. If you are in the market check out the top closely as I've seen some that have been reveneered with a solid sheet of veneer.
Terry