Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

question about Philco bakelite that export british multi wav

Hello everyone,
I'm new here at Ron's hang out but . I have question about Philco bakelite happen to be looking at it was british export that runs on 200 -220 50 cycles . Far as model no on out side of the cabinet I had no luck.
Just Cabinet makers name or store that sold it J.S. atkinson scarborough.bottom edge is wood The radio is like 19 long by close 12 tall 9 in deep roughly
and had paper tag tied to a knob that said it was 1950s era . 220v 50 cycles radio . is ther any one that has photos of some of Philco exports also the cabinet was really square in shape also like a lot of the philco radio the cabinet top is shaped like square wave insted of being just flat middle is lower then the to ends --_-- if that helps and looks like mini tabletop console .
sincerely Radio Rich
P.S. is there a place on the web either then the attic that I might find photos to try finding the model no.

Hi Rich, and welcome!

I have some photos of British Philcos that I intend to post on my website, but frankly have not had the time to do so. But the pictures I have are of 1930s era models.

At this point I do not know where else to direct you for pictures, sorry. Perhaps someone else will chime in with an idea?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron,
thanks for the info as I might have found help from the Brits .Well I found A british verison of The antique Radio forum Icon_smile .
sincerely Rich
P.S. I want to by the radio at second hand shop but I would like to know little about it before put down $80. for it. the guy selling it had it restored electricaly

Hi Rich,
Good to see you here. I am not sure but is theis the foru you found?
http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php
They were pretty helpful the one time I had asked them a question.

So the set you're looking at has been "restored" ? I wonder if he may have converted it to use 120v ? Or perhaps there was a provision for selecting input voltage? Maybe not, if it was for 50 cycles.

Let us know what you find out on it, or perhaps a photo even of you don't buy it.
Take care, Gary.

gary rabbitt Wrote:So the set you're looking at has been "restored" ? I wonder if he may have converted it to use 120v ? Or perhaps there was a provision for selecting input voltage? Maybe not, if it was for 50 cycles.

Let us know what you find out on it, or perhaps a photo even of you don't buy it.
Take care, Gary.

Most European sets of that era had taps right down to 115 volts. France, for one, used 110-115 always in older sets. Not sure about the history of their changes and when they changed to '220'. That said, UK sets are often the "not-European" exception in being 220-240 only. But then again, Philcos made in the UK were often destined for the Continent.

Either way its a no-brainer. You can get a capable 240/120 converter for about 15 bucks.

Hello Gary ,
well here is a link to the set that I'm looking at to buy . it's a Philco model A547B Bakelite cased four valve (+ rectifier) superhet. Circa 1947. Valve line-up 6K8, 6K7, 6Q7, 6V6. Rect R52 (5Z4G).
The cabinet is in great shape and it's in original condition because they let me take the back off at the store .The sell got it at a estate sale the lowest price the guy will take for it is $70.http://www.vintage-radio.com/recent-repa...a547b.html
Also Xray to answer your question about the transformer I have this square D 100va step down or step up transformer laying around in my stuff .
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4R822
sincerely rich
P.S. I think that transformer should work just fine Icon_wink
Hey there they go with the plumbing again Valves I know why the radio was not running at the shop I had hook it to the water main Icon_biggrin not electric main