Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco "Sled" Radio Decal??

I purchased a very nice Philco "sled" radio. It has a new/repo front bezel but no markings above the center selector knob as are shown in the link below. It almost appears as if this is not a decal but is etched into the plastic and then painted gold. Am I correct or is it actually a decal? If so, where do I purchase it? Thanks for any assistance.

http://www.tuberadioland.com/philco41_226_main.html

Craig R.

BTW almost every time I see this radio on eBay (and it is quite common) - I see the bezel warped like a twisted rope.
Why?

Still looking for some help. Someone must have in their collection a Philco 41-226 "Sled" that they could take a quick look at for me. Much appreciated!

Craig R.

The original was etched into the escutcheon.

How do you know the escutcheon you now have is a repro? If so, who is making them? I tried for a long time to persuade someone to make that grille available as a repro with no success.

They warp because they are made of Tenite. The early (prewar) efforts at using Tenite have not held up well over the decades - they outgas, shrink and warp. Some more than others. The postwar Philco 47-204 uses the same grille, but it was made of an improved plastic that did not shrink or warp. I had junked a 47-204 some time ago and was holding on to the grille hoping someone would want to use it to make a mold, but I think this summer I am going to paint it dark brown, put it on my 41-226 Sled, and forget about it. Of course, it will then need a decal above the band switch.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks, Ron! The escutcheon I have is not etched and has no decals. It is dark brown in color. The other reason I thought it may be a repo is that it is not warped and looks very nice. As you mentioned several other Philco radios share this same escutcheon. I also have a 42-PT94 that has a very nice marbleized escutcheon with almost the same dimensions. The one on my "sled" could have actually been from one of those other radio models. Since there is not a decal, so to speak, for the escutcheon I will have to improvise. Thanks again for the info!

Craig R.

Ron,

If you have a undamaged grill I may be able to dupe it for you and anyone else of course. I do mold making so If you send me a pic of the front and back I will let you know.

Kirk L

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Kirk

If you're serious and have the capability, that would be a great service to the vintage radio community! I will contact you via PM to exchange more info.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I await your reply or PM, ill be able to tell when I see pictures.

Kirk

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

PM sent.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN