Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what type of walnut is this?

I am in the process of re-veneering another 70b and I have bought figured, burl, and quarter sawn but I can not find this grain pattern. does anyone know what type of walnut this is?    

Crown cut I believe

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

This looks closer than anything else I have bought so it will have to do.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151228333073

Rotary-cut, good enough for the side of a cabinet. It will be toned very dark anyway, so you won't see the grain.

That isn't rotary-cut, it is flat cut. Anyway, it would look really nice on the sides of your 70.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

So is the ebay veneer the right cut? The picture in the first post is my restored 70 with original veneer, I want the veneer to be the same on the one I am starting on.

The first post picture looks lighter than it really is, it is actually a syrup color.

Yes, the original veneer on your cabinet is flat cut, sometimes referred to as plain cut, as is the veneer you bought on Ebay. A quarter-cut veneer would have a close, straight grain without flame grain and figure.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks Steve

Hey guys, that is a light color Claro walnut, which is what the cabinet makers used on the radios in the 30s,.. The Stratosphere sides were done with Claro, and a lot of Midwest cabinets displayed it , as well.
The lighter the color, the harder the true Claro is to find.

I am referring to the first photo of the veneer on the cabinet.
I am too sure about the Ebay stuff. It has white specs on it, which is not natural to the species.
I used Claro walnut on the 89 cathedral I just listed on Ebay,
which is Rift, but a beautiful veneer.

Kenneth

You're right, it can't be rotary with the book matching.

Kenneth, your 89B is beautifulIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup
Ron, I hope it is OK, I'm going to go ahead and post the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Radio-Ph...2a37cc4e5b

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Why thank you , Steve.
So far, my cabinet restoration is only worth $101.00,..
Man, if that is all I could get for my work, I would be Skinny Kenny.!

Maybe I will gain more along the way.
Otherwise I will keep it and wait until one of you guys is not too busy restore the electronics for me.
Thank you again , Steve, I appreciate the compliment.

Oooooooh shiny! Eyes hurt now Icon_lol

Kenny, What happened to the RCA Victor R-7-A Tombstone Radio

I was gonna try to get both of the resto jobbers?

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Beautiful radio.