Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 16B (baby grand)

Hello all,

I have been looking for schematics for the Philco 16B. I have found plenty of information on the Model 16 (of various codes and the model 16A, but nothing on the 16B. Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the 16 and 16B?

I have had this radio a few years and went through the recap and resistor checks a few years ago.  I can not find any schematics on the 16B and may have used the 16 and what was already there as a guide in the process.  I would just like to make sure I have the proper documentation on this radio before jumping into it again.

Thanks for looking.

Chris h

Chris H
N9WHH

I found something at the link below:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_16b1_16.html.  Looks like there are 4 versions.

If you click on the image you can download it. I believe you have to be a member to do this.

The Suffix indicates the cabinet style. The "B" suffix would be the "Baby Grand" (cathedral or tombstone). The chassis are the same for all suffixes except for the 16X (console) which has a slightly larger power transformer and a 5Z3 rectifier tube rather than a type 80.

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Thanks Bill. I had not thought of the radio museum site, as I am not a member. I appreciate you looking into it though.

Chris

(01-04-2015, 12:52 PM)Bill Bacco Wrote:  I found something at the link below:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/philco_16b1_16.html.  Looks like there are 4 versions.

If you click on the image you can download it.  I believe you have to be a member to do this.

Chris H
N9WHH

Thanks Steve. After I posted I got to thinking that it may be a cabinet style variation.  (I have to admit that I am not real familiar with the way Philco did things, but am learning.)  I sure appreciate it though.  Now I feel a little better about what I have already done.

Chris

(01-04-2015, 02:16 PM)Steve Davis Wrote:  The Suffix indicates the cabinet style. The "B" suffix would be the "Baby Grand" (cathedral or tombstone). The chassis are the same for all suffixes except for the 16X (console) which has a slightly larger power transformer and a 5Z3 rectifier tube rather than a type 80.

Steve

Chris H
N9WHH

you may want to look into ordering a set of schematics from Chuck Schwarks site. for $7.00 you get a complete set of schematics, parts listings, alignment instructions etc. I'm working on a 16B myself right now and I ordered a set from him, well worth the money!
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I have been thinking along those lines. I just ordered a set from him for my Philco 95. I agree it is money well invested.

Chris

Chris H
N9WHH