Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Schematic for Canadian Philco radio 39-3A1A Code 121

Hi,

I recently purchased the subject radio but need a schematic to start restoring it. Where can I get it?

Regards,

Jack Lupic

Here is what the radio looks like.    

Chuck schwark on the philco page has the best schematics and only charges for making copies.about 7.00 .

I may or may not have a schematic for this set, but I would try typing the model number into poohgle and see what you get. But there is also a website for an outfit called Pacific TV that has listings for a number of Canadian sets. I can guarantee that the schematic will be in the Radio College of Canada manuals, and if all else fails you could probably use the diagram from a U.S built counterpart like a 38-12, but the tube lineup may be different, I.E uses a type 80 rather then a type 84 or a 6F6 or type 42 rather then a type 41.
Regards
Arran

Welcome to the Phorum!!

I have a 39-3A1. Neat little set. It is very similar to the USA 38-12CB. The main difference is that the 39-3A1 uses a horizontally mounted power transformer instead of the vertically mounted transformer in the 38-12. There are some other, very minor differences.

Chuck should have the 39-3A1 service info; some info that is more complete than what is in the RCC manuals. Please contact him.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-25-2015, 09:40 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  Chuck should have the 39-3A1 service info; some info that is more complete than what is in the RCC manuals. Please contact him.

Ron,

I'm sure I have the 38-12 info, but I have no Canadian model service bulletins.

Chuck

Hi Ron and guys,

Thank you all for your help.

Warren: I filled our a form on Chuck's page but there is no way to contact him to find out if he actually has the schematic. The form output gives his address where to send $7.

Arran: I could not get anything from the sources you mention but Canadian Vintage Radio Society apparently has all RCC schematics so I contacted them.

Bob: It is great to know that there are so many knowledgeable Philco enthusiasts here.

Ron: If I get the schematic I will post it here so you can use it for your 39-3A1.

There is an interesting archived site: RESTORATION, TIPS, HINTS, & KINKS by Bill Harris that will definitely help folks restoring old radios: https://web.archive.org/web/200502041248...y/tips.htm

Regards,
Jack Lupic
-Toronto

Okay,

Thanks, Jack, but I've already restored my 39-3A1. At the time (this has been a couple years ago), I found that the RCC info was, shall we say, lacking. So I put together my own package of service info for this set. It contains a clear, easy to read schematic, under-chassis drawing, and parts list...all done by me. Icon_smile I really thought I had sent Chuck a copy at the time, but apparently I did not.

So here you go.

(no longer available - please contact Chuck or send PM for a copy)

Please let me know when you have downloaded this so that I may remove it from the server. (edit: removed)

If there is a demand for this info packet, I'll put it up in the Philco Downloadable Files section of the Phorum.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(03-25-2015, 10:49 AM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  ....So I put together my own package of service info for this set. It contains a clear, easy to read schematic, under-chassis drawing, and parts list...all done by me .......

Ron, did you draw those schematics?  I'm very impressed, that is incredible work Icon_thumbup

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Hi Ron,

Wow, Christmas came really early for me this year :-) Thank you very much for those super clear & detailed schematics. Please let me know what I owe you so I can send you the money preferably via Paypal.

Chuck kindly replied to me short time ago. I just have to tell him I already have the schematics.

Best regards,
Jack Lupic

(03-25-2015, 11:01 AM)Eliot Ness Wrote:  Ron, did you draw those schematics?  I'm very impressed, that is incredible work Icon_thumbup

Thanks, John. But no, I did not draw that schematic by hand, nor the under-chassis drawing.

I took a 38-12 Service Bulletin and scanned it into my computer. Then, using Paint Shop Pro, I carefully modified the schematic, under-chassis drawing, and the parts list to match the 39-3A1ACB and the similar 39-3A2.

So...not done by hand...but it was still pretty long, hard, and tedious work.

And Jack - you don't owe me anything, send your $7 to Chuck if you wish to help keep his excellent schematic copy service running. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Thanks, I will send a cheque to Chuck this week.

Regards,

Jack Lupic

Ron I forgot... I emailed the copy of your 39-3A1A schematic to Chuck mentioning the source. He was happy to receive and file it.

Ron,

Thank you on the tips with your restoration of Philco Model 38­14CB. It appears very close to Canadian 39-3A1A.
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=14922

Regards,

Jack Lupic