Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got a Philco 50-1724

I won this radio/cabinet at an auction this past weekend, trying to find out a few things about it. First, let me be honest, I paid a dollar for it. I would like to know a few things. First, the wires are brittle, with a lot of exposed wiring on the power, so I don't even know if it works. Can I replace wiring without ruining any potential worth it may have?

Also, you can see in the pictures, the front is beautiful. Rough, but I can see true beauty potential. When restoring one of these, would I sand it down, and stain it? The top veneer needs replaced of course.

My final question is, is it worth restoring? Is this radio a dime a dozen that I can never get rid of, or is it something that once I restore it, I should be able to make a few bucks? I have restored old T.V.'s, cabinets, desks, etc, but have never worked on a old radio. However, after working on aircraft for many years, and again, T.V.'s, I should be able to handle this job, but only if it is worth it. I wish I had room for one of these to sit in, but I have a 2 bedroom and a workshop, LOL. Let me know what your thoughts are please!

You can find the photos on Google Docs here: Philco 50-1724

Hi Rocco and welcome!
>First, the wires are brittle, with a lot of exposed wiring on the power, so I don't even know if it works. Can I replace wiring without ruining any potential worth it may have?

>Also, you can see in the pictures, the front is beautiful. Rough, but I can see true beauty potential. When restoring one of these, would I sand it down, and stain it? The top veneer needs replaced of course.

I think any value to a collector will be diminished do to the condition of the cabinet. With the significant amount of repair and refinishing work it needs. Some of these sets use a wood looking decal over an inexpensive light wood (photofinish) It's very difficult to reproduce the same wood look after the decal is gone.
A lot of us like restoring old sets starting off with really bad off and making something useable out of it. Is it worth much? That's the $64 question. If it is unusual or has a low production maybe. Don't think your set falls in to this catagory.
It was a fairly expensive set for 1950 at $279.

My general advise is if you like it gohead but I would expect to make any green in the process,just your our satisfaction. Some of us like chasing electrons, others enjoy the woodwork/refinishing and some are good at both.

Terry

Welcome to the Phorum! Icon_wave
I have to agree with Terry. If the goal is to sell the set and make some money, that set probably isn't the best. Its not a set I see collectors wanting, though mid-century items are becoming more popular. Its large so shipping is an issue too. Sounds like you have the skills to do the job though do it might be a good set for that first restore.