Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Soldering Gun,Irons

Ive used everything from the most expensive to cheapest varietys soldering irons-& guns thru the yrs. I do lots of electronics bench work, customers vintage radio sets, amps, etc. I got tired of buying the more expensive weller solder-station tips ( they are good tho!), as I dont have time to stop projects and go to the only place in town usually open only 9-5 ( M-F)to replace them @ $4.95 ea.
Irons types work best for me personally, and I keep spares. Ive settled for the less expensive rat-shack irons as they are cheapos, and generally last for approx 500 hrs each in 25 watt-30 watt ranges. East to handle, and usually gets to the tight spots. If less or more wattage is needed, I use my variac to adjust, either turn-up/ down the heat, but usually not necessary at all.
I make my own replacement tips for these rat-shack irons by cutting solid round copper (small copper rod stock), and threading one end to fit the iron, & grinding a tip on the other with a dremmel. A old local ham-radio friend gave me the rod stock yrs ago, & I just bought my own threader & use a small bench vise. These tips outlast the irons most of the time.
For heavy chassis connections, I also use the larger tinner-smith large ( radiator repair)types with 1/2" dia copper tips. I have some original types from the 40s-early 50s with cloth wire ac cords & wood handles. I found those thru the past yrs at garage-sales etc.
Soldering is a art-form in itself! It just takes practice, and anyone can learn! Not as easy as welding, but several basic principles apply to both. When a cheapo rat-shack iron stops responding well at 120 volts, I can drive abit more life out of them with my variac at cranking them up to around 135 volts. It gets the irons "attention" for sure!! They co-operate!!.. and for under $10 bucks each, the cheapo irons are disposable items anyways.

Messages In This Thread
Soldering Gun,Irons - by dixierat - 04-17-2009, 04:09 PM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by planigan - 04-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by kruc - 04-19-2009, 05:19 AM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by Guest - 04-20-2009, 09:41 AM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by hollowstate - 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by dixierat - 04-23-2009, 07:46 PM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by codefox1 - 04-23-2009, 10:01 PM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by Texasrocker - 04-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Re: Soldering Gun,Irons - by dixierat - 04-28-2009, 04:16 PM