Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoration

I'm rather new at radio restoration as well and I'm trying to relearn everything I ignored or forgot from school. There are plenty of sites on the web about electronic components once you learn what they are called. The hyperphisics web site is one of many. In a nutshell, resistors can be used to parse voltage. Electrolytic capacitors are used to smooth out bumpy, rectified AC. The other capacitors and coils can be used to filter AC or a modulating signal. Combinations of the two can work in unison and allow a narrow range to pass rather than just cutting out the highs or lows. Search the web for superheterodyne and read about how the radio works. You can also find out a little about vacuum tube cathodes, grids, screens and plates as well but some of the articles can get into the science that's interesting but hard for a novice to put to practical use. Old fashion books are great. I've got a beginning electronics book that my wife gave me as a Father's Day gift that I reference all of the time. I also bought a book on radio servicing by Marcus and Levy. The latter has a great deal of information but it will mean more once you get a better appreciation of what the circuit components do and how they work.

This takes a good deal of time to read through and a bit longer to digest. It's a great hobby that will give you much reward and appreciation for not only the technology involved but the skills and knowledge that people have.

Messages In This Thread
Restoration - by Music in a bottle - 05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Re: Restoration - by g8wayg8r - 05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Re: Restoration - by exray - 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
Re: Restoration - by Music in a bottle - 05-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Re: Restoration - by exray - 05-21-2009, 10:38 PM
Re: Restoration - by kruc - 05-23-2009, 03:44 AM
Re: Restoration - by Music in a bottle - 05-23-2009, 09:51 PM