Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal

I'm not sure if I lost position of the ungrounded resistor or if it was the person before me. I found a capacitor with one unsoldered end that was used to relocate the original part that was simply clipped at a cramped location. I went back to the original location since the parts diagram and schematic would be easier to follow for me in the future or the next fellow that takes a look underneath. I do trust schematics and used it to find the error since I was ready to input a signal behind the trouble spot. It just took several looks to to translate it to the layout correctly.

When replacing parts I've found that if I clip and desolder leads from the common lug and then one by one replace each part that it much easier to keep track. I'll stick with this method for a while.

My tuning does not align with the scale well. WWV is at 9, not 10 Mhz. On the broadcast band, 1120 is a at 1080. This is another opportunity to jump in and follow the alignment instructions and see what comes of it. My biggest concern is that the variable caps (which includes the attached wires and attachment points) could be very fragile and would not take kindly to adjustments. I know it's impossible to tell without seeing my radios but if anyone with any related experience has a word or two of advice or caution, it would be appreciated.

Thanks to all so far for your help.

More of cabinet refinish soon.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Re: Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-27-2009, 05:26 PM