Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal

After sleeping on your advice, which by the way was identical to my father's advice, I decided to keep the alignment on this set and move the pointer. It's good enough for now. Since alignment can be touchy and I could end up a long way from good enough rather quickly I've decided to venture alignment using a much simpler five tube Zenith 5S320. It needs some work and I'd rather mess with it since the 40-201 is a much finer set and it's just about right.

I decided to keep the eight red plastic push buttons, cracked, shrunken, discolored and all. It really doesn't detract much. Radio Daze sells replacements and I may buy a set when I ready to order from them again.

I've got to do something about the jewel. I've looked into an colored LED and there are options but that just doesn't seem to be a good fit. A 3/8" diameter disk of colored glass or plastic would work but I'm going to look for a castable plastic. I can use clay to model the shape of the missing jewel and make a mold. Maybe that's a lot of work for a small part but we'll see what I can find.

Messages In This Thread
Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Re: Philco 40-201 Restoration Journal - by g8wayg8r - 05-29-2009, 11:57 PM