Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 59c tube substitutions?

I thought I'd check back in on this one. I'm waiting on parts for the other two sets right now, so I returned to the 59. I had a bad power transformer it turned out. I got a replacement power transformer and have installed it. It went well...much easier than I thought it would be, and I learned a good bit about Its doing it. Putting it in, though, I decided to remove the two transformers under the chassis to make room (good idea...it really helped), BUT it turns out the antenna transformer has a bad secondary. The coil itself is dead simple: two windings that share a common ground lug. The one that is bad is the shorter winding on the outside of the primary. The other coil measures out about what it should, so I'm OK there.
I've read here before about rewinding (something else I've never done before), and I remember Ron and others saying that baking the form is a mandatory step. Does that apply to forms that still have the primaries on them? I have some enameled 34 gauge wire here. Will that be thin enough for my purposes?

Charlie in San Antonio

Messages In This Thread
Philco 59c tube substitutions? - by ccomer1955 - 11-04-2016, 09:48 PM
RE: Philco 59c tube substitutions? - by Arran - 11-05-2016, 04:09 AM
RE: Philco 59c tube substitutions? - by Arran - 11-06-2016, 02:48 AM
RE: Philco 59c tube substitutions? - by ccomer1955 - 11-25-2016, 10:11 AM
RE: Philco 59c tube substitutions? - by morzh - 11-25-2016, 11:30 AM