Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

I am in the process of replacing the capacitors that don't invole the wires to the transformer or the audio output coil, while I wait for the news transformer and coil to arrive.

I discovered if I look at replacing one capacitor at a time (where possible) it isn't such an overwhelming job, and I feel fairly confidant about going ahead on my own with this repair.

While I am at it I am replacing the rubber wires. I am finding the white wires are the worst for the wear.

Icon_idea To simplify the replacement process while I have one end of a wire undone that shares a terminal with a capacitor, I pull the wire out of the chassis, leaving the other end attached, straighten the wire out and gently twist the rubber insulation, if it doesn't fall apart, I continue to twist and gently pull until the rubber insulation starts to pull off the wire, then I pull the rubber insulation all the way off, then I slip a new piece of wire insulation from an OLD underground phone cable (about 18 gage wire) that I have laying around (all colors available) I have had this since I was 10 years old (it finally came in handy) To get the vinyl insulation off the original wire, I soak it in very hot water, it slips off easily after expanding, and then I slip it on the wire in the chassis, I then reroute the wire and resolder the loose end along with the capacitor. Do you foresee any thing wrong with this method Icon_confused:

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by jjbuzard - 12-07-2009, 08:02 PM