Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis

Well, thanks, but I'm no kid anymore...I will be 50 come April... Icon_eek

The picture in the avatar at right is James M. Skinner, who was the President of Philco during their glory years (1930 to 1939).

You should mount the new audio output transformer in the same place as the original was mounted. See, you will not be storing your radio in a barn or in any rodent-infested areas, so the new one should be just fine if it is installed where the original was. It is best to locate parts where they were originally to avoid problems.

I see you bought a vertical mounting power transformer to replace your original - a 270DAZ (horizontal mounting, like the original) would have been a better choice, but you can still use the 270DAX. You may have to modify the hole somewhat to permit the wires to pass through. You do not want the wires rubbing against the chassis!

Both transformers should have a paper showing which wires are for what winding. Study these carefully. If for some reason you do not have these diagrams, you can see diagrams for both on the Radio Daze website.

http://www.radiodaze.com/
Click Components, then Transformers & Inductors - Hammond Mfg., then Classic Plate & Filament Power Transformers (Hammond's 263 - 282 Series) for the power transformer; Universal Push-Pull Tube Output Transformers (Hammond's 125 A-E Series) for the audio output transformer.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco Model 41-296X with 41-285 modified chassis - by Ron Ramirez - 12-09-2009, 11:29 AM