Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is Anyone going to be restoring a model 70 soon?

EXCOT Wrote:Hi, I'm restoring an early 70 chassis now. I've restuffed bakelites and lytics which was not too difficult. The detector transformer is open on primary which is pretty common (part #03083).I'm trying to decide if I should try to rewind myself or see if Ron can do it. I'm not sure of gauge wire or number of turns. Unwinding it will just break and looks awful fine to be able to count wraps with a needle or stylus. I'm also waiting on a replacement bakelite block that was missing. Hopefully the power transformer is good. Radio Daze is offering free shipping now and I think AES is offering a 10% discount until end of year, so now is a good time to order parts (check to be sure when ordering). Just Radios is a good source for caps. Mine is turning out to be a labor of love. Bought it for less than $20.00 at auction, but only because it looked so rough.I reglued delaminated grill and replaced veneer on arch and cabinet looks good now. It's been stripped but I'll probably wait till warmer weather before I spray any lacquer. I also found two bad tubes but I had spares. I restored a model 20 deluxe that was in just as bad a shape and it turned out great; but I couldn't of done it without the help of the nice folks on these forums. I'm confident your project will have same results. Bill
The old radios really do fascinate me. I'm admittadly out of my league but just really am ambitious, and if it blows up, well, It will still look good on the end table! You have a link to some pictures of your set?

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Messages In This Thread
Re: Is Anyone going to be restoring a model 70 soon? - by Music in a bottle - 12-22-2009, 01:59 AM