Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-608 Volume and tone control function ++

Hi Ron,
Thanks so much for your time and valuable input. I really am trying to restore this unit for a "customer"
and when I got it, it had been previously worked on a few years ago by someone not really knowledgeable but rather
a "tinkerer" (not that I'm a whiz). I don't remember which right now, but he had "cobbed" in a different
control for the volume I believe. It was way off in value and didn't have a "tap" like the original so
that wire was left hanging. Also the tone control, an original, was open... infinite resistance between
ends. (Even opened up the pot and found a cracked carbon track so not much to do to salvage that).

Well I have rechecked my wiring, replaced a couple caps and resistors. I only had ceramic caps on hand
for item 58 (100uufd) and item 56 (.002ufd) but wouldn't think that would affect the sound. I will
check the wiring once again tho to be sure. It's certainly tolerable cuz once you set it where you like it,
it seems fine but it's just that it doesn't seem quite normal to operate that way...guess I get too
fussy about some things and not enough about others, ha.

I will have to do some rechecking on the "front end" again for the howl/squeal problem. I also notice
that our only local AM station which is at 1460 seems to want to come in as an "image" (???) on the
very low end of the dial as well. I don't really have a generator anymore so can't do a proper alignment
so haven't really done much with it other than rock a trimmer back a forth a fraction of a turn and
then leave it where it was.

Sorry, I haven't checked for a response on my other inquiries yet and for making this so lengthy but
would you mind (if you haven't) looking at my post with photos about the "stringing" of the "band"
selector with moving lamp indicator to see if you have a hunch there?

The "Beam of Light" record player is in this unit but as mentioned elswhere, someone has robbed the
transformer that was fastened to the inside of the cabinet (probably the "tinkerer") .
Any suggestions who to check with that may have that item available?

The schematic does't make it clear that there is such an item... just
shows a "pickup".... oh... I see it now... it is the item 54 on the diagram. Guess I had thought that
was some small coil inside the radio I just hadn't tracked down. So... will need that item. Do you know,
was that for some impedence matching or what function did it serve?

Will close it up here now but many thanks for your responses and your invaluable experience as well
as your valuable time. We all have only so many hours in a day and you are appreciated!

Best regards,
Harlan

Messages In This Thread
Re: Philco 41-608 Volume and tone control function ++ - by Harlan - 01-07-2010, 10:03 AM