Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

NO FM on a Philco 48-1266 / AM & SW ok !

Lee,

I have a 1266 here and I would have to agree with Chuck that bandswitches on these models especially when sitting unused for a while seem to give problems. Mine has the FM working but one of the IF transformers is causing crackling on AM and SW. My problem is probably due to either bad capacitors in the AM windings or silver migration on the mica. I haven't pulled them yet to check. I have a 48-485 I have used for 30 years and it developed a hum problem that would come and go. I bring this up because it uses the same type of locktal sockets as the 1266. It turned out to be loose rivets on the 7B6 audio tube. Philco returned the heater to ground through the gounding assembly with four ground lugs around the socket. The grid resistor is also grounded to this part. When the rivets made poor contact to the chassis, the hum was bad. Maybe this has something to do with those tape squares 49Stude63 was talking about on the 7F8.
Generally, I like the postwar FM Philcos as the engineering was unique, thought out well and not a copy of every other set on the market.
One thing with all 1940's FM sets I found is the local oscillators have a high output. Most radios, even other makes, will wipe out TV reception on non cable sets when tuning around. There really weren't many TV's to worry about interfering with then. With the 1948 Philco FM sets I have, they drift a little for about 10 minutes but become stable afterwards and perform quite well.

Fred R

Messages In This Thread
[No subject] - by Chuck Schwark - 01-28-2006, 09:46 PM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 01-29-2006, 08:31 PM
[No subject] - by 49Stude63 - 01-29-2006, 10:13 PM
[No subject] - by Fred R - 01-29-2006, 10:47 PM
[No subject] - by Poston Drake - 01-29-2006, 11:06 PM