Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

detector coil replacement on 32 Volt Delco Farm Radio

< Right now the detector coil is out of the chassis and gator wired in (along with the resistor and mmf cap).

The coil (secondary) needs to be  in the circuit. It tunes the input of the mixer. The primary isn't it's just there to transfer the rf signal to the secondary and then to the mixer input.
On second thought 10K might be a little high, I was thinking that this set has a more normal B voltage like 200v but it doesn't it's 30v. So lowering the resistance could be a good idea. Try around 2-5K. For best results leave the coil in the chassis and solder the resistor and cap across the coil's terminals. Adding clip leads and such changes it's characteristics.

At best using the resistor and cap is a work around but not as efficient as a rf transformer. The link I sent you to the replacement coil is a good substitute. It's also slug tuned so you set the tracking (assuring that the rf gain is even across the entire band). What you would do is you adjust the slug for the best sensitivity @ the low end and the trimmer @ the center of the tuning cap for the high end. There probably be some interaction so you should do this adjustment a couple times.

Out here in the east I rarely see any 32v sets.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread