Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control

Having two issues with this chassis I just finished re-capping. First is the sensitivity control, the other is lack of volume.

The control that was in the radio works as far as the detents and stop, but the switch itself connected to the power leads is what is sticking and only making sporadic contact. I tried some deoxit which helped for a bit but as soon as I put it back together again, it still stays on in the off position. The whole thing is riveted with teeny tiny little brass rivets that are quite long.

Just wondering what that second "distant" position really does if you don't have the special Zenith antenna that was available back in the day? Is there a work around  to where you can just eliminate that second position and use a traditional off/on pot? (I tried this, just connecting the power wires to the off/on switch of an off/on/volume pot, leaving that extra "distant" wire disconnected. The radio plays and receives stations with the antenna, but not very loud. If I connect the antenna to the grid cap of the 6L7 tube I get lots of volume.)

Am I missing something by not having that off/on-local/on-distant switch in the circuit that could be causing the lack of volume? Or where else could the culprit be if I can get lots of volume by just connecting the antenna to the grid cap of the 6L7?  Connecting the antenna to the grid cap of the 6K7 RF has no effect. I did swap out tubes in that section to no avail. Tube shields are all in place.

Paging Dr. Terry Icon_smile

Here's a link to the schematic for reference: http://www.nostalgiaair.org/pagesbymodel...025495.pdf

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 06-17-2018, 09:19 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-18-2018, 11:05 AM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-18-2018, 08:18 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by morzh - 06-18-2018, 09:17 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-19-2018, 04:01 AM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by tbone - 06-19-2018, 07:14 PM
RE: Zenith 9S232 sensitivity control - by Arran - 06-20-2018, 01:57 AM