Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

question about stylus/cartridge for Philco 48-1270

Leonard

I do not know the part number for your needle, sorry.

Yes, if it has been used beyond the recommend number of playings, then yes, the needle is probably your problem. Don't know why someone would have removed and stored the needle...

If the original needle fits loosely in the cartridge, or if the sound produced by the cartridge is muffled and distorted, then it probably has been damaged. Of course, distortion can also result from a worn needle. I haven't looked at the papers for this cartridge in a long time, and to be honest, I don't know where my copies of the info are at right now - I haven't looked at this item since before I moved away from Evansville last year.

I think you just need to be careful installing the needle in the cartridge, don't force anything...and, above all else, do not use a steel needle or any needle with a larger shank than the original. I don't think the S-shaped sapphire needles sold as replacements for steel needles will fit this cartridge, either. Gib would know for sure.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
question about stylus/cartridge for Philco 48-1270 - by Guest - 07-23-2010, 06:16 PM
Re: question about stylus/cartridge for Philco 48-1270 - by Ron Ramirez - 07-23-2010, 08:52 PM