Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Airline Miracle 62-288 restoration

So it is the MW62-288.

And now that I have full Rider's I got from John, it is nice to have a clean legible sch to look at.

Since the recap was done by someone in 50s, as except two caps the rest were clearly replacements, I decided to not restuff them and in went the Illinois Capacitor jobs. The electrolytic, though atached as it should be, with the metal belt and a screw, was also a replacement, so in went two cans.
It's amazing how much time one saves when not doing restuffng.
The one cap I did restuff is the one on the outer side of the chassis, the antenna coil ground coupling cap.

Here it is:

And the rest is:

But then I saw this (it was taped and I smelled a rat)

The antenna wire was moved from the primary of the antenna transformer to the secondary. Which to me screamed the open primary. Which happened to be the case indeed.

I touched one of the primary wires of the coil and it seems to move out of the solder lug so hopefully it is simple broken wire. The coil is the paraffin potted type, those don't easily break inside, and it is my hope, plus the primary is not tuned so a turn or two missing won't affect anything much.

Here's the broken wire. I was able to unwind it a bit using heatgun and it seems to be enough to solder.
Tomorrow.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Airline Miracle 62-288 restoration - by morzh - 12-01-2018, 07:37 PM
RE: Airline Miracle 62-28x restoration - by morzh - 12-01-2018, 09:38 PM
RE: Airline Miracle 62-28x restoration - by morzh - 12-02-2018, 07:32 PM
RE: Airline Miracle 62-28x restoration - by Arran - 12-03-2018, 03:50 AM
RE: Airline Miracle 62-28x restoration - by morzh - 12-03-2018, 07:26 AM
RE: Airline Miracle 62-288 restoration - by morzh - 12-03-2018, 08:27 PM