Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dial Calibration Problem on 41-295

Just like Ron said, always test your RF generator feeding into a Freq Counter to make sure your test gear is accurate or your chasing yourself round in circles on alignments. For serious radio restorers using vintage RF generators only, a Freq meter is a must have item to keep accuracy. Most just get close with a tone generated from older RF gens on one end of the dial sometimes. If you dont have a freq counter, a portable radio with digital crystal controlled tuning can be used to track your RF generator for spot on first, seconds, & third harmonics. I have a old Radio Shack model DX-375 that covers most bands I keep on my bench so I dont have to bring out the Freq meter. Just takes a little practice. In all my many restorations over many years, I only had one radio that needed the mica replaced from rot on the tuning cap. It was a Zenith 7G-605 that had been used during WW2 and stored in a damp environment for many yrs. I only use my ears to "peak up" the I.F. transformers , and never trust my vintage RF generators, even though they produce a fairly accurate signal across the bands. I have a old dual trace scope here I need to restore, but a freq meter works great for servicing old radios and making sure your RF gen is spot on. I never cared for tube testers much either, even the best Hickoks high-dollar models can lie. The best test for tubes is under proper operating conditions in the set(s) the tubes were designed for. Just my .02

Messages In This Thread
Dial Calibration Problem on 41-295 - by hyounce - 12-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Re: Dial Calibration Problem on 41-295 - by Texasrocker - 12-08-2010, 12:23 AM