Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Looking for a communications receiver?

I have a number of communications receivers. The one I have had the longest is a Knight Kit Star Roamer I built when I was a kid. I paid close attention to the instructions, routing the wires exactly as they said to. It actually is a decent little receiver for general short wave listening. I used it all through my teens, and got quite a few QSL cards from far away stations from using it.

Today I own 2 Hammarlunds, which are excellent receivers. One is an HQ-140-X, the other is an HQ-145. They are both in original condition. I last fired the HQ-140-X up about a year ago, and it still worked fine; but, before I use it again, I am at least going to replace the filter condensers. I don't want to cook the power transformer. I actually like the HQ-140-X better than the HQ-145. Both are dual conversion, very sensitive and selective, and built like a tank.

Right now my everyday listening radio is an Allied A-2515. It is a more modern transistorized radio, 1967-1971. It works very well, but is not as sensitive as the Hammarlunds. It compares favorably with my Philco 37-630.

I also have a Radio Shack DX-160 (around 1975) It works about as well as the A-2515.

As for portables I have a GE World Monitor model P990A, an all transistor receiver from 1964, with AM, FM, Long Wave, and 2 shortwave bands  https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/general_el_p990p_99.html

I also have an RCA RZM195E GRAY, which is a very mice portable, very sensitive and selective for a portable, and compares favorably with my modern digitally tuned receivers.

In digitally tuned receivers I have a Grundig S350DL. It's a nice radio and receives well. The digital tuning makes it easier to know exactly what frequency I am listening to. I often use this receiver as a cross check to my signal generator when I am aligning old shortwave receivers, sort of as a frequency counter. It works really well for this.

One of my most modern solid state, digitally tuned receivers is a TECSUN PL-600. It receives every bit as well as my Grundig, plus it has a BFO for receiving SSB and CW. It also comes with a rechargeable battery, which is also a nice feature. It is a lot smaller and lighter than the Grundig too. How things do progress in just a few years!

Last I must mention my little QFX R-39. This is not the most sensitive, nor selective receiver, but it does pretty well. It has surprisingly good sound for such a small speaker too. It has AM, FM, and 7 shortwave bands. It also has a rechargeable battery. It's most unique feature is that it also will accept a mini SD card, and will play your MP3 files. I use it a LOT for this. It is also very inexpensive, I got mine for about $30 including shipping from eBay. I like it a lot, and use it as a carry around radio that I don't have to worry about.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Looking for a communications receiver? - by mikethedruid - 08-03-2019, 12:41 PM