Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Suggestions for a good digital signal/function generator?

Hey Kim! Good to hear from you. Icon_smile

Acked re: never connecting a new generator to an old radio, especially an AC/DC unit. Mike (morzh) posted a protective circuit earlier in this thread, and I don't think an additional capacitor would hurt, either.

I asked this same question at ARF. Rob almost had me steered toward the KKmoon 6600. But now thanks to the ARF guys, I'm taking a second look at a unit I hadn't mentioned here previously - a Siglent SDG1025:

https://www.amazon.com/Siglent-SDG1025-F...a397e&th=1

Which leaves me at this point, which Vinny Barbarino (John Travolta) said best back in the 1970s:

[Video: https://youtu.be/qnVrjFSE1hA]

Icon_crazy

And John B., I had said I didn't want used, but I will look into the B+K Precision 4040A. Does it do everything I need to do (save for going to 20 MHz instead of 30)?

Along those lines, here are the main things I'm looking for:

* No analog dials. Punch in a frequency and it will be on that frequency. I'm frankly tired of the constant drift, drift, drift of my Clough-Brengle OC-A plus the inability to set 455 kHz right on 455 kHz. It has served its purpose over several decades, but it is time to retire this unit.
* Audio modulation of AM signals.
* Sweep function for various AM IF frequencies.
* If I need to add an external unit to turn down the output into the mV or uV range, I'm naturally willing to add that.
* Needs to cover fairly low longwave (say, around 100-150 kHz) to upper SW - 30 MHz.
* New - not used. (although as I said, I would consider the B+K unit)
* A price that will not break the bank.

I don't need square or triangular waves, but understand they come as part of the package of the newer generators.

I have a Sencore SG165 to take care of my FM/FM Stereo needs. Yes, its dials are analog, but it does well for what it is.

Again, I do sincerely appreciate the help from everyone who has posted in this thread...sometimes a guy who's been in the hobby for 45 years finds he needs some upgrades...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Messages In This Thread
RE: Suggestions for a good digital signal/function generator? - by Ron Ramirez - 09-29-2019, 09:41 PM