Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heath-Zenith (Heathkit) Frequency Counter Model SM-2420

Yes its already been recapped, it came to me already recapped and yes the 400 hz tone was working before and even after the modification, but for some reason the tone only worked on bands A, C, D and E but not on B. 

So I'm not sure what's going on.

One thing that I do remember is that I did have thw signal generator hooked up to my radio without a capacitor inline with the test leads because when I was reading through the alignment instructions on the service manual (Beitmans) for the Philco 116B the instructions didn't specify the use of a capacitor inline with the signal generator's test leads, although the instructions specified a specific model of signal generator, a Philco Model 088 Signal Generator which is a Battery Operated version of the Model 077 signal generator that is discussed in another thread in this forum, which if it specifically specified the use of a battery operated signal generator that might be why they didn't specify a capacitor on the antenna lead of the signal generator.
Which if the aforementioned above is the case, I may have inadvertently fried my signal generator by not using a capacitor inline with the antenna lead of my signal generator seeing as it was connected to the grid (top pin) of the 77 (1st detector) tube of my Philco 116B radio which may have sent some DC current into the signal generator resulting in the circuitry being fried.

Also How does the Tuned Harmonics work on a signal generator? I'm asking because both of my signal generators make use of "Tuned Harmonics" to achieve higher frequenices, my Radio City Products unit is rated for AM/FM/SW/LW work and is rated for 100 kHz to 25 Mhz between 6 bands (A-F) and then through the used of "Tuned Harmonics" it can go all the way up to 150 Mhz, and my Heathkit SG-8 unit is rated for 150 kHz to 110 Mhz across 5 bands (A-E) and then through the use of "Tuned Harmonics" it can go all the way up to 220 Mhz, but I'm not sure how that works and I can't seem to find any information on how that works in any of the manuals for these 2 signal generators I have, nor can I find any information on it, by just doing a general google search.

I hope this helps you with helping me figure out what's going on with my signal generator.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Heath-Zenith (Heathkit) Frequency Counter Model SM-2420 - by captainclock1988 - 05-05-2020, 09:26 AM