Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 16X - Problem With Radio Reception

Hi Ron. Good news...I found/fixed the problem I had with my Philco 16X Radio Icon_smile ! I found that I had grounded to chassis both negative leads of one of the double cap bakelights I had installed when only one of them should have gone to ground. As soon as I changed this connection the radio reception came back, and came back very well. I have full reception on all 5 bands with lots of stations on each....and it sounds great!

By the way, before I found this bakelight problem I also made the addition to the electrolytic cap #57 and #88 that you had guided me to. And while it probably helped overall, it still did not fix the "no reception" problem that I had caused and I still had no signal. Thus I went back to pouring over Icon_crazy every connection again and I found the bakelight problem.

I guess the moral of this story is where possible never change more than one cap at a time, and keep checking the radion reception after each change. I also have made contact with the SARS group here in Atlanta and will be getting involved with them.

But again, thanks so much for this website, and for the work that you do. You are a terrific resource and I really appreciate your help. I will probably be asking you a dumb question again sometime in the future...but as I do more of these restorations perhaps I can answer a question somebody else has as well. Sonny

Messages In This Thread
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-02-2011, 09:49 AM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-02-2011, 07:13 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-05-2011, 10:19 AM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Ron Ramirez - 02-05-2011, 12:05 PM
Re: Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Re: Model 16X - Problem With Radio Reception - by Sonnyboy - 02-09-2011, 08:36 AM