Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 89 oscillator issues

Not sure where I posted it (it's been 6 years since I worked on that radio which is now my profile pic on here)... I thought it may have been in that thread but I guess not. Thinking back, it probably wasn't the OSC coil that I had wound backwards. More likely it was the RF coil.

All three coils on mine were open and had to be rewound (OSC, ANT and RF). You probably read about baking the coils before you rewind them as they like to absorb moisture that can cause problems. And because there were SO many production changes made during it's long run, it's important to determine exactly which set you have so you're working off of the correct schematic. Lots of good information to scroll through here and schematic comparisons with all of the changes: https://philcoradio.com/library/index.ph...-model-89/

Not to discourage you but my model 89 was an especially stubborn beast and I vowed to run as far away from them as possible should I ever have the misfortune to encounter another! Icon_lol I remember reading an article on them at the time and they were dubbed "the radio that refuses to be repaired"!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
Philco 89 oscillator issues - by JohnSchw - 11-01-2020, 04:32 PM
RE: Philco 89 oscillator issues - by JohnSchw - 11-02-2020, 11:15 AM
RE: Philco 89 oscillator issues - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 11-02-2020, 12:35 PM
RE: Philco 89 oscillator issues - by JohnSchw - 11-09-2020, 12:44 PM